BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Haris
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Looking for ideas on how to calculate a c-index for a mixed GLIMMIX model--binary outcome with random effects.

The best I've found so far was to use a weighted average of c-indices from each level of the random variable.  Any other leads?

Thanks,

Haris

3 REPLIES 3
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

This is an area where the literature isn't really settled yet.  The weighted average at least overcomes the non-additivity of c (at least for the most part). Are you applying the same number of bins to each level of the random variable?  If not, then the weight should also reflect that unequal replication.

Steve Denham

Haris
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Here's at least something published on the matter: http://www.statistics.gov.hk/wsc/CPS031-P5-S.pdf.

I am not sure what you mean by "bins to each level of the random variable," can you elaborate?  The outcome is binary so there are only two bins at each level (as long as there are some events and non-events).  Otherwise, the predictors are all the same.

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Maybe I mis-interpreted what you meant by c-index.  I was thinking of c as the area under the ROC, and for that, you need to vary the cutpoint to generate values, and then add them up via the trapezoidal rule (if you are doing it the SAS way).  The key is that if you calculate the within cluster ROC values (as per Rahman et al.), you need to be sure that the same number of cutpoints are applied.  This is a real problem if the number of 'events' is small within a cluster, and worse if the total number of instances is much smaller in some clusters than in others, so that estimation of the ROC and its associated std error are inexact (see comments on page 5 of Rahman et al.).

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation