BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
I am trying to uncover the strength of the association between brand attributes and the likelihood a customer will consider purchasing a certain brand i.e. which attributes are really driving customer consideration.

I have a background in Applied Economics but have not worked with this type of data before, so I am unfamiliar with which method to use.

Data - My independent variables are 6 brand attributes - each respondent has rated them in order of the strength (1 to 10) to which they associate them with 4 different companies (i.e. if attribute A is strongly associated with company B, the datapoint is 10). The dependent variable is the likelihood that the customer would consider that company (1 to 10). We are trying to find a way to remove the company from the analysis and look only to make connections between brand attributes and likelihood of consideration.

I have tried a basic logistic model by lumping the dependent variable into two buckets (likely and not likely), but my dependent variable is not binary and this was useless. We don't necessarily need a regression coefficient but a correlation coefficient or something that can express the relationship (be it causal or not) between attributes and customer consideration.
4 REPLIES 4
statsplank
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Kelly Ups,

Could you please post the code you run to fit your logistic regression model?
deleted_user
Not applicable
sure, thanks

here is the code I used (i'm sure its amateur) - the event refers to the event that the customer would be likely to consider company x. the data I have actually ranks that likelihood from 1 to 10 so I had to bucket it 1-5 vs. 6-10 which is useless, of course. I need another way to represent the data more fully. For my variables, "twentyfour" refers to the degree to which each respondent associates company x with that characteristic (the company has 24-hour service) - 1 being the weakest and 10 the strongest so, again, this method probably isn't best for that...

rsubmit edwkdp;
proc logistic data=kelly.mark1 outest=kelly.betas covout;
CLASS twentyfour (ref= '1')/PARAM=ref;
CLASS lowerrate (ref= '1')/PARAM=ref;
CLASS service (ref= '1')/PARAM=ref;
class reliable (ref= '1')/PARAM=ref;
class time (ref= '1')/PARAM=ref;
class value (ref= '1')/PARAM=ref;
model likelihood2 (event='1') = twentyfour lowerrate service reliable time value
/ selection=stepwise
slentry = .05
slstay =.02
details
lackfit;
output out= kellypred p=phat lower=lcl upper=ucl
predprob = (individual crossvalidate);
run;
endrsubmit;

** I also ran a contigency table (creating dummy variables for each attribute and rating i.e. twentyfour1, twentyfour2, etc. and running them against likelihood1, likelihood2, etc) - I got contingency coefficients for that and those seem to be useful - but, I am open to other ideas. THANKS!!
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
You could try a linear model (GLM). If your dependent variable ranges from 1-10, it may have enough spread to allow normal distribution theory to work, especially if the sample size is reasonably large. You can then use the company as a categorical variable and then you can interpret the other regression coefficients as partial correlation coefficients. You might be able to use a MIXED model, as well.

You might also be able to do ordinal logistic regression, but you'll need a lot of data for that model to converge.

You will need to do some reading (Paul Allison's BBUs are good) or get some help from a statistician involved in marketing to get all the pieces and interpretations together. If you are near a major university with a business school, you might be able to get a grad student to help.

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke
deleted_user
Not applicable
If I wanted to use GLM or a mixed model - but my dependent variable was likelihood to consider company x (where values range from 1 to 10) and my independent variables were levels of association each respondent has with x number of product attributes (values range from 1 to 10) ... how would I construct this model to estimate partial effects of each attribute response to the likelihood to consider response. My variables are not discrete, so would I need to use odds ratio estimates and is that possible with GLM or mixed? I still haven't figured this one out, so thanks for any help you can give!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation