BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Kyra
Quartz | Level 8

I am looking into association of many different job titles with head and neck cancer.

I ran separate logistic regression models for all the job titles adjusting for same confounders .

The control group for job titles is same for all the models.

How should i adjust for multiple comparisons?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

If the point is to make comparisons among your job titles, then it makes no sense to run a separate model for each title. Instead, fit a single model containing a job title variable that has as many levels as you have titles and use all the data in that single model fit. Then your LSMEANS statement will have multiple comparisons which it would make sense to adjust. In the separate models that you have fit, there is no point in doing any adjustment since each has just a single comparison. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

Specify your job title variable in the CLASS statement and use the PARAM=GLM option in that statement. Of course, job title will also appear in your MODEL statement. Then you can also specify it in an LSMEANS statement and use the ADJUST= option to select one of the various adjustment methods available. See the LOGISTIC documentation for details on these statements and options.

Kyra
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. I really appreciate it. But I still did not get my answer. The code I used is (the level of cook is 1 vs 0 in below code):

proc logistic data=red.merged;

class studyname ageq sex Education_levelmi1 race region drink_dayq tobaccoyearq cook/param=GLM;

model case= studyname ageq sex Education_levelmi1 race region drink_dayq tobaccoyearq cook / scale=none aggregate;

LSMEANS cook / e diff oddsratio cl adjust=dunnett;

run;

SAS log says

The ADJUST=DUNNETT p-values and confidence limits cannot be computed because the

Dunnett-Hsu approximation did not converge. Try ADJUST=SIMULATE.

when I did adjust=simulate it says

Cannot compute simulated p-values with inestimable LSMEANS.

I am posting part of my codes just to clarify what I did previous to adjustment:

class studyname ageq(ref="<40") sex(ref="Female") Education_levelmi1(ref="No education") race region drink_dayq(ref="0 (Non-drinkers)") tobaccoyearq(ref="0 (Never smoker)") cook(ref="0")/param=reference;

model case= studyname ageq sex Education_levelmi1 race region drink_dayq tobaccoyearq cook/ scale=none aggregate;

run;

class studyname ageq(ref="<40") sex(ref="Female") Education_levelmi1(ref="No education") race region drink_dayq(ref="0 (Non-drinkers)") tobaccoyearq(ref="0 (Never smoker)") painter(ref="0")/param=reference;

model case= studyname ageq sex Education_levelmi1 race region drink_dayq tobaccoyearq painter/ scale=none aggregate;

run;

I ran this kind of model for 25 job titles.

StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

If the point is to make comparisons among your job titles, then it makes no sense to run a separate model for each title. Instead, fit a single model containing a job title variable that has as many levels as you have titles and use all the data in that single model fit. Then your LSMEANS statement will have multiple comparisons which it would make sense to adjust. In the separate models that you have fit, there is no point in doing any adjustment since each has just a single comparison. 

Kyra
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you very much for the reply. The goal of our study is to see association of each job title with head and neck cancer irrespective of other jobs.

We do not want to make comparisons among job titles.

I suppose we will not make adjustments then. Thank you once again.

StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

In that case, then you could adjust the p-values from the individual job title parameters by creating a simple data set with those p-values in a variable and then use PROC MULTTEST to do an adjustment. See the example titled "Inputting Raw p-Values" in the Examples section of the MULTTEST documentation. The Holm adjustment method is generally applicable.

Kyra
Quartz | Level 8
Thank you very much. I will try this.
Kyra
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

Proc multtest with Holm method worked for me.

Thank you very much for your help.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation