BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jslejko
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am using Proc FMM to estimate a mixture a two normal distributions.  The parameter estimates match what I have found previously using other software, however, I've run into a problem when examining the mixing and posterior probabilities.  I notice that a vast number of observations have zero values for both component mixing and posterior probabilities.  Not 'missings', but actually zero.  These results seem strange because if one probability were zero, the other should be 1, and in this case they are both zero.  Does anyone have any insight about why this is happening and what it means?  I noticed that a similar problem was documented with a hot fix, but my software appears to be completely up to date so the hot fix was not installed.

Thanks,

Julia

2 REPLIES 2
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Hi Julia,

Install the hotfix, just in case, and see if the problem persists.  If it does, open a ticket with Tech Support, as this is NOT expected behavior.

Steve Denham

jslejko
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for your message!  I tried installing the hotfix and got this message:

"SAS Threaded Kernel Extensions for Statistics 12.1 J15001 English

The maintenance package you are trying to install requires a maintenance version between 0 and 1, which could not be located on your computer

No changes need to be made. Your system is up to date"

I will try FMM again and open a ticket if the problem persists.

Thanks again,

Julia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation