BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Mehdi_R
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello everyone,

I have a huge longitudinal data, with 45000 individuals and about 5 visits. The outcome is count with so many zeros. The only way I know to take into account the excess zeros and the correlation, is to use random effect models in either PROC MCMC or PROC NLMIXED. However, both of these procedures will take forever because number of patients is huge number. I was wondering if anyone has seen a macro which uses GEE method and simultaneously takes excess zeros into account. I think such a method will be much quicker to analyse this dataset...

Thank you very much in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
RyanSimmons
Pyrite | Level 9

Have you done diagnostics on the degree of zero-inflation to verify whether or not you need zero-inflated model to begin with? For example, in many cases a negative binomial model (which can be easily fit in GENMOD with a repeated statement) will fit zero-inflated data quite well (in fact, anecdotally speaking, in my experience a ZIP or ZINB model rarely offers any practical advantages over a negative binomial model in the case where you have zero-inflation and overdispersion).

plf515
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Have you  tried PROC COUNTREG? 

Mehdi_R
Fluorite | Level 6

I haven't tried it, but I think this procedure does not adjust for correlation. 

Mehdi_R
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you for the reply.

Actually it seems you're right. I compared a zero-inflated random effect model with just a random effect. It seems fit becomes better by taking into account the excess zero, but the estimation of parameters in the main models are quiet similar. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation