BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Jack2012
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear,

Currently I am using SAS 9.4 to calculate the power with the given size and un-equal variance between 2 groups. However, when I submitted the following code, it turned out there was NO SOLUTION COMPUTED, hence I seek your help on this.

By the way, I have read the guidance regard to this test method, and found there was no wrong in the code.

The Code:

proc power;

twosamplemeans test=diff_satt

groupmeans=(1.2 0.1)/*Specify group means: grp1_mean=1.2, grp2_mean=0.1*/

alpha=0.1          /*Specify the test significance level*/

sides=2             /*Specify the test is two-sided*/

groupstddevs=(1.2, 0.1)/*Specify the standard deviation for each group: grp1_std=1.2 grp2_std=0.1*/

groupns=(10 10)        /*Specify the number of sample size in each group:grp1_N=grp2_N=10*/

power=.                /*Request the power with above prerequisite*/

;

run;

sample size calculation.png

Thanks in advance,

Frank

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

You can use simulation to estimate the power. See the program at   Using simulation to estimate the power of a statistical test - The DO Loop but use

RejectH0 = (Probt <= 0.1);

and

method="Satterthwaite".

The estimate of the power is 0.8530, with a 95% CI of [0.8311, 0.8744].

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I was able to duplicate this behavior, and was a bit surprised.  I tried two one-sided tests at alpha=0.2 and was able to get results, but am baffled by this particular behavior.  It remains until the Group 2 standard deviation gets to about 10% of the Group 1 value.  So you could say the power was greater than 0.846.

It appears that this result occurs whenever the ratio of the SD's is greater than 10.

Steve Denham

Jack2012
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear Steve,

Thanks so much. Yes, this is another good way to present.

Frank

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

You can use simulation to estimate the power. See the program at   Using simulation to estimate the power of a statistical test - The DO Loop but use

RejectH0 = (Probt <= 0.1);

and

method="Satterthwaite".

The estimate of the power is 0.8530, with a 95% CI of [0.8311, 0.8744].

Jack2012
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear Rick,

Thank you so much, yeah. Simulation is one way to calcualte the power. However, it seems in PROC POWER, this is one bug? Hope in future this can be resolved.

Best,

Frank

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation