BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
keh
Calcite | Level 5 keh
Calcite | Level 5

Hi

I'm running Proc Mixed, using a Random statement for repeated measures. Have a bunch of variables, so run each one separately using the same code. Most have run just fine, but 3 variables all from a second database are giving me "non-est" for the means. I've tried a bunch of random changes to no avail. Rather than this hit-or-miss process, can someone tell me what things cause non-estimable means? Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

There are a number of possible causes.  A couple that I would look for:

is the new variable a linear combination of others in the data.  Sometimes that may be linear in just this dataset (akin to autocorrelation) or a design issue (like having pre, post, and delta variables in the model together).

one of your repeats may not have any variability in the predictor.

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

There are a number of possible causes.  A couple that I would look for:

is the new variable a linear combination of others in the data.  Sometimes that may be linear in just this dataset (akin to autocorrelation) or a design issue (like having pre, post, and delta variables in the model together).

one of your repeats may not have any variability in the predictor.

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

keh
Calcite | Level 5 keh
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you both! I think I figured it out from your comments. My model was y = treatment trial day, but day essentially equals treatment in this database, whereas it didn't in the other one. I removed it and voila! Means!

K

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Can you share the code you are using?  Besides the issues that Doc mentioned, I would be concerned about missing cells, such that the interaction term could be estimated, but main effects could not.  If this is the case, you may have to address everything using a means model.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation