BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
john1111
Obsidian | Level 7

I have two models estimating the same number of parameters  and using the same data. The models are only different because they are using different different likelihood functions in the proc nlmixed procedure.

I mean this;

proc nlmixed data=Surveydata;
           parms b0=0 b1=0 ;
           mean = exp(b0 + b1*Age);
           ll = /*Some codes*/;
           model art ~ general(ll);
 run;
proc nlmixed data=Surveydata;
           parms b0=0 b1=0 ;
           mean = exp(b0 + b1*Age);
           ll = /*Some codes different from those above*/;
           model art ~ general(ll);
 run;

Therefore expect different estimates for variable Age. So my question is this Apart from AIC or BIC what test can I use especially that I can incorporate with simulation to justify that one model is better than the other. The test may even focus on the ability of the estimates of the parameter Age to best explain the variable art. But most of all I would really want to simulate different data sets to use the test just to justify that for different data sets Model X is better than Model 2.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I assume the different LL represent different models, such as comparing Poisson, Neg Bionomial, ZIP, etc.

In simulation studies, people are often interested in 

1. Bias. You can examine the distribution of (theta - theta_hat) where theta_hat is the Monte Carlo estimate 

2. If the purpose of the study is to assess a point estimate, then the standard error of the MC estimates are important (precision)

3. If the purpose is to assess a confidence interval, then empirical coverage probability is important.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I assume the different LL represent different models, such as comparing Poisson, Neg Bionomial, ZIP, etc.

In simulation studies, people are often interested in 

1. Bias. You can examine the distribution of (theta - theta_hat) where theta_hat is the Monte Carlo estimate 

2. If the purpose of the study is to assess a point estimate, then the standard error of the MC estimates are important (precision)

3. If the purpose is to assess a confidence interval, then empirical coverage probability is important.

StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

If the two models can be considered strictly nonnested, then you can use the Vuong or Clarke test which are available from the Vuong macro

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation