Programming the statistical procedures from SAS

Which proc reg statement is correct when doing segmented regression?

Accepted Solution Solved
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Which proc reg statement is correct when doing segmented regression?

I’m doing segmented regression.  I understand the theory behind it, but I can’t figure out which is the correct SAS model/output.  I found 2 different models in 2 books and they give slightly different results.  Any help is appreciated.

Example data:

Month    Mar    Apr    May    Jun    Jul (bp)    Aug    Sep    Oct    Nov

rate       55     51     48      49      150           156    165     172   180

X           1      2       3        4         5              6       7         8       9

X2        -4      -3     -2       -1         0              1       2         3       4

X3        -4      -3     -2       -1         0              0       0         0       0

X4         0       0       0       0         0              1       2         3       4

Which of these three models is correct?

Model 1: Proc reg; model rate = X   X4; run; (from Biostatistics for Animal Science)

Model 2: Proc reg; model rate = X2  X4;run;

Model 3: Proc reg; model rate = X3  X4;run; (from Draper and Smith, Applied reg analysis text book)

Model 2 output is the exact same at model 1 except the intercept parameters are more meaningful.

Model 3 is the same output as Model 2 except the slope after the break point (bp) is larger, and I don’t know why.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎11-20-2014 02:34 PM
Respected Advisor

Re: Which proc reg statement is correct when doing segmented regression?

I would certainly expect models 1 and 2 to give the same output, as X2 is a centered version of X1.

The slope in Model 3 after the break is larger as it is the deviation from a plateau starting in July, as opposed to an additional increase over the linear trend modeled by X2.

Steve Denham

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎11-20-2014 02:34 PM
Respected Advisor

I would certainly expect models 1 and 2 to give the same output, as X2 is a centered version of X1.

The slope in Model 3 after the break is larger as it is the deviation from a plateau starting in July, as opposed to an additional increase over the linear trend modeled by X2.

Steve Denham

New Contributor

Thanks, Steve.

Yes, I just figured out the slope after the break point reported by model 3 is the sum of the slope pre break point + the change in slope post break point.  I was not realizing models 1 and 2 were showing the change in slope rather than the new slope.

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation