BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
rossj81
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all

I am trying to perform Exploratory Factor Analysis using proc factor with priors=smc, but am not sure which factor extraction method to use. O’Rourke and Hatcher (2013) suggest that Maximum Likelihood (ML) is the preferred method, but when I use that, I receive the "Communality greater than 1.0" error. Khattree and Naik (2000:150) say we can use the HEYWOOD or ULTRAHEYWOOD options to get past this error, but caution of improper solutions as a result.

1. Should I use ML with HEYWOOD, or should I rather use Principal Factor (PRIN) instead?

2. If I use ML with HEYWOOD, how will I know whether the resultant solution is valid or improper?

I'm using SAS release 3.4 University Edition.

Ross

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

It also indicates that some of the reasons for the error may be with the data. 

Is that possible in your scenario? If so, is there anything you can do with the data to resolve this?

rossj81
Calcite | Level 5
I'm not sure what would cause errors in the data. I ran proc factor with priors=smc and method=ml on two similar but different datasets. I received "Communality greater than 1.0" in both cases. When using HEYWOOD to force them, I received very different results on the two datasets.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation