BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
marcioadg
Calcite | Level 5

Actually it is converging, FCONV, but the MaxGrad is not below 0.0001 or even 0.01. The parameter estimates are exactly the same as my initial values on the Parms statement. I am pretty sure I have parameters close enough. Is there anyway around it? 

When I run the linear -plateau model it is ok. The problem is when I run the curvilinear-plateau model.

Thank you

Marcio

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Try different starting values.  It may be that you are in a local extremum.  Grid search may be the best way to go after this.  Also, check out the algorithm you are using for optimization.  This means examining alternate optimization techniques, or altering the update method or linesearch method if you are using an optimization techniques that allows alternatives in these areas.

Steve Denham

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Try different starting values.  It may be that you are in a local extremum.  Grid search may be the best way to go after this.  Also, check out the algorithm you are using for optimization.  This means examining alternate optimization techniques, or altering the update method or linesearch method if you are using an optimization techniques that allows alternatives in these areas.

Steve Denham

marcioadg
Calcite | Level 5

I will try that, but can I compare IC from between models using different optimization techniques? Or than I would need to chance the opt tech for all my models?

Currently I am using the default for NLMIXED (Dual Quasi-Newton).

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I would say it's probably a good idea to compare IC's based on the same optimization technique.  If you have trouble with one model/dataset, changing to a different method to get it to work for that instance means you should, at the very least, test that method on the other models/datasets.  It would be optimal to use the same technique on all candidate models.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation