BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jtflynn33
Fluorite | Level 6

The data comes from the data table: marchflights.sas7bdat   (airplane flights and the corresponding weights of "freight" - the variable)

Freight (variable)

Mean=333.95, Standard deviation=98.11.  Number of observations=635

Below is the code:

/**Hypothesis Testing**/
proc univariate data=certprep.marchflights mu0 = 333.95;
     var freight;
run;

I believe that the t statistic should be much higher than 0.000283,

and the p value should be very low, looking like 0.0040 or something like that, but it is 0.9998  

Results are below:

Tests for Location: Mu0=333.95

t statistic  p value

Can the results of the t statistic and the p value actually be correct? I don't think so.

Is there anything I'm missing here? Is there something wrong with the code?

Thank you.

jtflynn33

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

I think you're misunderstanding hypothesis testing.

The null hypothesis is that the mean is equal to 333.95. If p<Alpha then you would reject the null hypothesis.

Since the P-value is 1, this means you fail to reject the null hypothesis and the mean is not significantly different than 333.95. 

Usually you're looking to reject a null hypothesis, in this case you're looking to confirm your null hypothesis. 

@jtflynn33 wrote:

The data comes from the data table: marchflights.sas7bdat   (airplane flights and the corresponding weights of "freight" - the variable)

Freight (variable)

Below is the code:

/**Hypothesis Testing**/
     var freight;
run;

and the p value should be very low, looking like 0.0040 or something like that, but it is 0.9998  

Results are below:

0.000283 0.9998
t statistic   p value

Can the results of the t statistic and the p value actually be correct? I don't think so.

Thank you.

jtflynn33

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Ksharp
Super User

It looks right.  If you want p value be small (significant) , then t statistic must be big enough. 

t statistic measured the deviation of H0 statistical (when H0 is assuming right) .

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

t = (xbar - mu) / (s / sqrt(n))

xbar and mu are both 333.95 (well, xbar probably has a few more decimal places), so t close to zero is correct.

When you have a t close to zero, you have a p value close to 1

--
Paige Miller
Reeza
Super User

I think you're misunderstanding hypothesis testing.

The null hypothesis is that the mean is equal to 333.95. If p<Alpha then you would reject the null hypothesis.

Since the P-value is 1, this means you fail to reject the null hypothesis and the mean is not significantly different than 333.95. 

Usually you're looking to reject a null hypothesis, in this case you're looking to confirm your null hypothesis. 

@jtflynn33 wrote:

Freight (variable)

Below is the code:

/**Hypothesis Testing**/
     var freight;
run;

Results are below:

0.000283 0.9998
t statistic   p value

Thank you.

jtflynn33

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 4 in conversation