Programming the statistical procedures from SAS

What to do when two models have exactly same AIC/BIC and variance components estimations?

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

What to do when two models have exactly same AIC/BIC and variance components estimations?

I have two models in NLMIXED (one linear-broken line and the other a quadratic broken-line) and they have the exactly same AIC, BIC and variance components. Their AIC, BIC are smaller than other models I am comparing them to. I am using this models to estimate nutritional requirements of animals. Now, I am normally reporting only the estimated requirement of the best fitting model. In this case, should I report both of them? Or there is any further analysis/investigation can be done to find which one is better?

Thank you,

Marcio

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎07-22-2014 11:42 AM
Respected Advisor

Re: What to do when two models have exactly same AIC/BIC and variance components estimations?

I would expect the quadratic to be more easily explainable in biological terms (at least if it is quadratic to a plateau).  Otherwise, linear is simpler to explain--there is an additive response above a certain cut-off.

Steve Denham

View solution in original post

All Replies
Contributor

Re: What to do when two models have exactly same AIC/BIC and variance components estimations?

Hi,

One approach is focusing on the "Story Telling" side of your model.

Best,

Mohammad

Solution
‎07-22-2014 11:42 AM
Respected Advisor

I would expect the quadratic to be more easily explainable in biological terms (at least if it is quadratic to a plateau).  Otherwise, linear is simpler to explain--there is an additive response above a certain cut-off.

Steve Denham

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation