BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
marcioadg
Calcite | Level 5

I have two models in NLMIXED (one linear-broken line and the other a quadratic broken-line) and they have the exactly same AIC, BIC and variance components. Their AIC, BIC are smaller than other models I am comparing them to. I am using this models to estimate nutritional requirements of animals. Now, I am normally reporting only the estimated requirement of the best fitting model. In this case, should I report both of them? Or there is any further analysis/investigation can be done to find which one is better?

Thank you,

Marcio

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I would expect the quadratic to be more easily explainable in biological terms (at least if it is quadratic to a plateau).  Otherwise, linear is simpler to explain--there is an additive response above a certain cut-off.

Steve Denham

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MohammadFayaz
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

One approach is focusing on the "Story Telling" side of your model.

Best,

Mohammad

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I would expect the quadratic to be more easily explainable in biological terms (at least if it is quadratic to a plateau).  Otherwise, linear is simpler to explain--there is an additive response above a certain cut-off.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation