BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
marcioadg
Calcite | Level 5

When comparing two IC values, what is the cutoff value?

I have heard that it was 10, and also heard that it was 2...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

See Burnham and Anderson's Model Selection and Multimodel Inference: A Practical Information-Theoretic Approach (2nd. ed) (2002) from Springer-Verlag--Chapter 6, section 4.5, according to my notes.

Steve Denham

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
MohammadFayaz
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

Note : The difference is based on the AIC (BIC) of your desired model with the smallest AIC (BIC) in all your models.

For AIC , Page 30 : http://myweb.uiowa.edu/cavaaugh/ms_lec_2_ho.pdf

For BIC , Page 30 : http://myweb.uiowa.edu/cavaaugh/ms_lec_5_ho.pdf

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

For AIC, there should be no "cutoff" value, in my opinion.  The smaller value (in SAS parlance) for two models reflects less information loss, as compared to the data generating process/model.  The loss compared to the model with the minimum AIC (AICmin) can be calculated as exp((AIC - AICmin)/2).  Thus even a small difference can indicate substantial information loss, e.g. a difference of 1.386 in AIC would represent a 50% loss.

Steve Denham

MohammadFayaz
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you SteveDenham.

I don't believe in "cutoff" for AIC as you say.But his question motivate me to search internet to find some rules. I don't use these rules. But if someone asks me have you ever heard about "cutoff" for AIC . I referred him to these pretensions. and then if he wants my opinion about using these "cutoff" , I tell him/her your invaluable example. Smiley Happy

Thank you

marcioadg
Calcite | Level 5

SteveDenham and MohammadFayaz, thank you for your input. Do you have a reference for the exp((AIC - AICmin)/2) formula you gave? Thank you Marcio

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

See Burnham and Anderson's Model Selection and Multimodel Inference: A Practical Information-Theoretic Approach (2nd. ed) (2002) from Springer-Verlag--Chapter 6, section 4.5, according to my notes.

Steve Denham

marcioadg
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you I will check. And how about when you have two exactly similar AIC and BIC between a linear and a quadratic model? Which one do we pick?

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Exactly similar?  That would be very coincidental.  I'd pick the model that I had the most solid biological reason for selecting, though, given this strange occurrence.

Steve Denham

marcioadg
Calcite | Level 5

Yes, Thank you Very much Steve

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation