BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
vasqj
Calcite | Level 5

I am very new to SAS and still tyring to understand the results tables that are produced.  I have been asked to run a Welch's two sample t-test on a data set.  I am able to run the process t-test using the 't Tests' under the Tasks and Utilities.  However for the Welch's test that refers to an unequal variance, I am unsure where in the code you tell it that your sample has unequal variances.  Or is that you refer to 'Pooled' or 'Satterwaite' rows when you need to refer to the numbers produced?  I can see that in in one of the result boxes that are produced it calculates variances on 'Pooled' and 'Satterwaite'.  Do I look to see which variance is unequal and those will be the Welch's results I should use?

Appreciate the insight.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The Satterthwaite test is for unequal variances. Some references cal it the Aspin-Welch-Satterthwaite t-test.

The Getting Started example in PROC TTEST contains an example. It is produced by default, so you do not need to specify any specify an option for it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ballardw
Super User

I don't find a reference to a Welch's t-test but proc ttest supports the Cochran option which is a ttest with unequal variance.

That would just be one additional parameter on the Proc statement such as:

Proc ttest data=mydata cochran;

class classvar;

var analysisvar;

run;

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The Satterthwaite test is for unequal variances. Some references cal it the Aspin-Welch-Satterthwaite t-test.

The Getting Started example in PROC TTEST contains an example. It is produced by default, so you do not need to specify any specify an option for it.

vasqj
Calcite | Level 5

Rick thank you.  I just need to get a bit more familar with the readouts from the results.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation