BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MelanieP
Calcite | Level 5

Dear community,

When using proc GEE or proc GENMOD with WEIGHT option the covariance of Yi is given by : Vi = phi Ai1/2 Wi1/2 R(alpha) Wi1/2 Ai1/2.

Then the used estimating equation is sum Di Vi-1 (Yi-mui)=0.

However, the correct formula given by Robins 1995 is sum Di Vi-1 Wi (Yi-mui)=0.

I agree that when we choose an independence correlation structure it is equivalence. However, it may be different if we use an exchangeable correlation structure. I found an article by Lin et Rodriguez 2014 stating that the estimation may even be biased in some case. They claim that it may had been corrected in version 13.2 of SAS. But I cannot find any difference at least in the documentation of the procedures. Do anyone have any insight?

Also,  Is there any superiority advantage of using Vi = phi Ai1/2 Wi1/2 R(alpha) Wi1/2 Ai1/2 ?

Thank you very much,

Best regards,

Mélanie.

3 REPLIES 3
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

The Robins method is one of the weighted GEE methods in PROC GEE.  See "Weighted Generalized Estimating Equations under the MAR Assumption : Observation-Specific Weighted GEE Method" in the Details section of the GEE documentation.  

MelanieP
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for this reference.

However, do you have any insight why it had been implemented Vi = phi Ai1/2 Wi1/2 R(alpha) Wi1/2 Ai1/2 and not Vi = phi Ai1/2R(alpha) Ai1/2 Wi at the very beginning?

Thanks you very much,

Best,

Mélanie.

RyanSimmons
Pyrite | Level 9

First of all, note that:

Vi = phi Ai1/2 Wi1/2 R(alpha) Wi1/2 Ai1/2

Is incorrect. The actual decomposition of the covariance matrix (using your notation) is:

Vi = phi Ai1/2 Wi(-1/2) R(alpha) Wi(-1/2) Ai1/2

As for why it is decomposed like that, the answer really has to do with the way linear algebra works, and it is difficult to give a full answer here (since, as far as I know, these forums don't support LaTeX). I'd recommend asking that question over at CrossValidated where someone can walk you through the algebra.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation