BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
HyunJee
Fluorite | Level 6

I am looking through a previous analyst's code and they frequently used proc surveyfreq and proc surveylogistic with the weights option. I have not done this in some time and wanted to make sure my understanding of the weight statement was accurate.

When you specify the weight statement and variable, instead of SAS recognizing each variable with a default weight of 1, it uses the numeric value in the weight variable. When I looked at the data I am analyzing, weights ranged from 13.1 up to 51000 and about 12000 of the 30000 records are missing weights (FYI: I am using a dataset that the CDC provides). 

So to my understanding, a record with a weight of 51000 compared to a record with a weight of 30000 will have more impact on the sample and statistical output.

I know this may seem an elementary question, but it has been a few years and I want to make sure I fully grasp the concept. Thank you for any help you can provide!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
3 REPLIES 3
DLing
Obsidian | Level 7

Yes, you're right, the more weighty observations carries more, ahem, weight, in the analysis Smiley Wink   Weighted means, weighted variances, weighted parameter estimates, and so on...

Details on how its used in each PROC is in the PROC documentation.

HyunJee
Fluorite | Level 6

thank you art297 and DLing! Just what I needed to know Smiley Happy

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation