Programming the statistical procedures from SAS

WARNING: Obtaining minimum variance quadratic unbiased estimates as starting values for the covarian

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

WARNING: Obtaining minimum variance quadratic unbiased estimates as starting values for the covarian

[ Edited ]

Hi all, 

I am trying to do logistic regression with random effiect for binary data by GLIMMIX.

However, I get warinig message as follows;

WARNING: Obtaining minimum variance quadratic unbiased estimates as starting values for the covariance parameters failed

Anyone know how I can overcome this problem?

Thanks,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

proc glimmix data=logitbank method=quad;
class fid;
model ydat2(event='1') = D1013 fid*D1013
/dist = binary link=logit ddfm=none solution;
random intercept/ subject=fid;
output out =glmout pred =xbeta pred(ilink) =predprob;
covtest;
run;

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎05-20-2017 07:05 AM
Grand Advisor

Re: WARNING: Obtaining minimum variance quadratic unbiased estimates as starting values for the cova

Or try PARAM statement . and I quoted here.
"The PARMS statement specifies initial values for the covariance or scale parameters, or it requests a grid search over several values of these parameters in generalized linear mixed models."

View solution in original post

All Replies
Grand Advisor

Re: WARNING: Obtaining minimum variance quadratic unbiased estimates as starting values for the cova

Why you include subject term in the independent variables ?

Try option type=chol.

random intercept/ subject=fid type=chol ;

Occasional Contributor

Hi Ksharp!

Thank you for reply!

>Why you include subject term in the independent variables ?

Because I want to include not only random intercept but also random slope.

>Try option type=chol.

I received same warning message: WARNING: Obtaining minimum variance quadratic unbiased estimates as starting values for the covariance parameters failed...

Tissue5454

Solution
‎05-20-2017 07:05 AM
Grand Advisor

Or try PARAM statement . and I quoted here.
"The PARMS statement specifies initial values for the covariance or scale parameters, or it requests a grid search over several values of these parameters in generalized linear mixed models."

Occasional Contributor

Hi Ksharp!

Thank you for reply!

I tried PARAM statement and succeed in getting result!

I think the warning message;

"WARNING: Obtaining minimum variance quadratic unbiased estimates as starting values for the covariance parameters failed" tend to come up when the model is too complicated.

In my case, independent variable "D1013" is nonsignificant .

Thank you again,

tissue5454

Grand Advisor

I am glad that worked and pround of your effort .

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 2 in conversation