BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Melman
Calcite | Level 5

Hi!

I have calculated standard deviation of mean values via Gaussian error propagation because I used a rather complex formula. After this i wanted to compare means (with LSD or HSD). I was searching through the net and all I could find was the input of raw data (e.g. 4.5g,4.7g, and 5.1 g for sample A and 8.5g, 9.1g, and 10.8g for sample B).

How can I import the data into SAS if I have the mean value and the standard deviation (e.g. 4.8g (±0,3) for sample A and 9,5g(±1,2) for sample B?

Thanks!

All best regards

6 REPLIES 6
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

You could do it brute force in a DATA step with these instructions

https://www.utdallas.edu/~herve/abdi-LSD2010-pretty.pdf

Melman
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Doc@Duke,

Thanks for your reply! If I understand you correctly you are suggesting to calculate my post hoc testing manually. I was also considering this but I thought importing data in the questioned format must be such a basic function...

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

The PROCs that compute the LSD (like ANOVA and GLM) expect to get raw data.  It's not the importing of the summary data that is the issue, it is the computation of the subsequent statistics.

Reeza
Super User

Yeah, you'd either have to simulate the data or program the test yourself, SAS expects raw data not summarized data.

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

There is this 25020 - One-way ANOVA on summary data

I think you will also need N.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation