BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sachin01663
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I am new to modelling. I am confused, can Z Score be used to compare percentages if the percentage is coming from a binary (0,1) response variable? 

Example:

I have a campaign selling TV with response 1 who bought TV and 0 who havn't bought TV. Let's say response for Treatment group is 2.1% and Control group is 1.8%. I have seen people calculating Z Score to compare the two percentages to see if they are significantly different from each other or not.

I understand that we are comparing percentages, which is numeric but they are coming from binary response which is not numeric; its a categorical variable. We fail to validate assumptions required for Z Score / t-test.

According to my understanding, we should be using only Chi-Square test in the above example and Z Scores will be incorrect.

Am I wrong?

Thanks

Sachin .

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

You can use a z-score if you use a continuity correction.

http://www.statisticshowto.com/what-is-the-continuity-correction-factor/

There are problems with doing this though, because you'll still end up with CI's that are below zero or one and then you can use a Wilson (sp?) correction instead.

ballardw
Super User

One might ask if you meant to test a proportion. If you look in many statistics books you'll find a "large sample" normal approximation is used for either a binomial distribution, n>20 or so, or Chi-square, n>100.

And with SAS generally you can accomplish these without having to go to a raw z-score unless you want to.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation