BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Krishnan
Calcite | Level 5
Dear friends,

I am using Proc GAM on a panel dataset (with 3,00,000 obs) for exploratory data analysis. I wanted to understand what is effect of an independent variable on the dependent variable. After running the Proc GAM code, I got a graphical output with the independent variable on x-axis and the effect on y-axis. How do I interpret this output?
Code used:
ODS HTML;
ODS GRAPHICS ON;

PROC GAM DATA = TMP1.DATASET PLOTS(CLM);
MODEL Y = SPLINE (X);
OUTPUT OUT=ESTIMATE P RESIDUAL UCLM LCLM;
RUN;

ODS GRAPHICS OFF;
ODS HTML CLOSE;

U can e-mail me,if more information is required. This is an urgent request.

Thanks,
Krishnan (krishnan.s@mu-sigma.com)
Business Analyst
Mu Sigma Inc., Bangalore
4 REPLIES 4
statsplank
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Krishnan,

Did you get any p-values in your output?
Krishnan
Calcite | Level 5
Yes..I got p-values and all that stats. The only issue is to understand the graphical output of PROC GAM. What the graphical output conveys.
statsplank
Calcite | Level 5
I suspect your graphical output looks similar to those in

Example 36.1 Generalized Additive Model with Binary Data

There, I saw a paragraph that begins with "The plots show that the partial predictions corresponding to both Age and StartVert have a quadratic pattern, while NumVert has a more complicated but weaker pattern." You may consider describing the pattern you see in your plot in similar terms.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thank you for the timely response!

I have understood the interpretation of Proc GAM graphical output.

1) Generalized Additive Model (GAM) : Y = B0 + S(X) ; (This says the relationship between Y and X is unknown and S(X) is a function with unknown relationship)

2) GAM separates out the linear and non-linear trend of the predictor variable to Y = B0 + B1(X) + F(X); (where B1(X) is the linear part and F(X) is the non-linear part)

3) Estimates are computed separately for the linear part and the non-linear part

The predictions from non-linear part (called as partial predictions) are plotted against the predictor variable in the figure. Thus the figure depicts the non-linearity part of the relationship between Y and X (if at all there is any). If there is no non-linearity no curve would be generated.

Krishnan

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation