BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
carinevier
Calcite | Level 5

We conducted a trial with a one-way treatment structure with 2 trt levels. We applied the two treatments to pens of pigs in a randomized block design. However, we ended up with 45 pens, thus one of the blocks out of 23 blocks had only 1 treatment. How do I code this unbalanced incomplete block desing in Proc MIXED? Or is the code exactly the same as a RCBD and there is something we need to compute on the datalines?

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I am somewhat unclear on what exactly do you mean by a "block" in this case, is it a pen of pigs which gets two treatments, or is it two pens of pigs that are somehow paired (if so, how are they paired) or is it something else?

Depending on your answer, I could see removing one block that didn't get two treatments and doing the analysis, or alternatively analyzing all 45 blocks and ignoring the imbalance.

--
Paige Miller
carinevier
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks for the quick reply. The blocks were consisted by pairs of pens, and they were created based on the "pen" average body weight. Does this make sense?
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

That makes sense.

I would then analyze all 45 pens, with the average weight in the pen as the coviarate (assuming average weight has some theoretical effect on the results).

--
Paige Miller
carinevier
Calcite | Level 5

Yes the pen average weight indeed has an effect on the results, that is why we decided to block. However, I am a bit concerned about analyzing all 45 pens with BW as a covariate. I don't think it is appropriate to remove the block factor and analyze the it as a covariate since blocking was already part of the design structure. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation