BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
cbatzi01
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am analyzing prescription drug costs data from insurance claims. Health care data is heavily skewed with lots of 0's and a few really high cost patients (long tail).

I need to get the mean cost per patient in cohort 1 vs cohort 2. I have the total cost for each individual patient.  instead of just taking the log of the cost, then proc means, transform back and be done, I have been asked to use a two-model (proc genmod with log-link). I have no idea how to do this. Any references or examples?

I have basic analytic file:

patid, cohort, covariates 1-6, drugs 1-5 count, drugs 1-5 cost.  The zero values are currently just a ".".  

Thanks!
Chris

4 REPLIES 4
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

The example here is a proc genmod with a gamma distributed response variable and a log link function

https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/63033/HTML/default/viewer.htm#statug_genmod_sect...

cbatzi01
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the response.  This makes sense from a regression point of view. I guess, I am just stuck in not knowing what to do with that information.  At the end of the day, i need a table that says Cohort A spent $650 on drugs, and Cohort B speng $500, and the diffeerence was significant.  I am not sure how to go about getting that sort of output.  

Thanks!
Chris

uzma03505621
Obsidian | Level 7

I have used the syntax referred in this article for my project but I don't understand the purpose of this step:

proc genmod data=data2;
class x2 x2 x5;
model costp = x1 x2 x5 x3 x4 x4*x1 /dist =normal link=log;
output out= y_hatC pred= condpred ;
run;

Nowhere in the following steps we use condpred. Please help me better understand the syntax.

Thank you

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation