BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
HyunJee
Fluorite | Level 6

I am trying to compare two measures of blood pressure taken on a group of 50 people. Both blood pressure measurements are continious and took place at different points in time.

I am trying to determine if the blood pressure stayed the same, increased or decreased between the two points in time.

An individual I worked with suggested a McNemar test, but to my knowledge this is for 2x2 data. Since my measurement of interested in continuous, this will not work.

I appreciate any help or insight you can provide. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ksharp
Super User

Hi. Steve.

I know it is pretty robust. especially for large data.

But I still highly recommend to use proc npar1way + Willcox again, To contrast these two result.

Since t statistic estimator is from Normal Distribution.

Ksharp

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

If the difference scores do not look normal, then the Wilcoxon signed rank test (on the difference scores) is another possiblity.  You get to that via PROC UNIVARIATE.

If you need to control for other variables (age, sex, etc), then you can use a regression procedure, though with N=50, your options are more limited.

Ksharp
Super User

You are right. McNemar is used for frequent(category) data not continuous . (For Cross tabulate)

Since your data is from the same subject(patient). Then you should minus these two variable because they might be correlated(from the same people). then test whether  the mean  of differ equal 0.

You can't directly use proc ttest to do paired-test because these two variables are not independent and might not have Normal Distribution.

Ksharp

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The link I provided shows that PROC TTEST has a PAIRED statement for paired comparisons. See also this example: http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/63962/HTML/default/viewer.htm#statug_ttest_a00000...

Ksharp
Super User

It is new for me .thanks.

But proc ttest is only suited for Normal Data.

If they were not Normal?

As Doc said ,Might should be use non-parameter method (proc npar1way 's Wilconx.)

Or log it to transform it as Normal.

Ksharp

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

The assumption of normality is greatly over-rated/misunderstood for most linear models, including the paired t-test.  So long as the residuals, not the data themselves, are unimodal and relatively symmetric, the asymptotic p values should be a good guidepost.  For most blood pressure data, this will be the case. 

But suppose you are testing the effect of a drug on lowering BP, and further suppose that the population is a mix of normotensive and hypertensives (which could be further divided by the degree of responsiveness to the drug).  Now, you are probably in the realm of non-normality, and other approaches may be needed.

But for this, it is a classic textbook case for application of a paired t-test.

Steve Denham

Ksharp
Super User

Hi. Steve.

I know it is pretty robust. especially for large data.

But I still highly recommend to use proc npar1way + Willcox again, To contrast these two result.

Since t statistic estimator is from Normal Distribution.

Ksharp

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 5 in conversation