BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
claw13
Calcite | Level 5

I am trying to get hazard ratio for a risk factor. Individuals with exposure had no events and individuals without exposure have 9 events. I have follow up time. when i use proc phreg, I don't get hazard ratio for risk factor. it comes up as "."

is there any other way to get HR in this case?

any help will be appreciated.

Thank you

1 REPLY 1
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

No.  The hazard ratio is not defined when you don't have any events in one group; your sample size is too small for PHREG.  You might be able to force PHREG to provide an estimate by arbitrarily creating an event in an observation in the exposed group, but the estimate will be quite unstable.

Computing the required sample size for a survival analysis is pretty tricky, you need both an estimate of the event rate per group and how much censoring you will have (the latter is really hard to get a handle on).  PASS has a tool for it, but few other packages do.

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation