BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Ivy
Quartz | Level 8 Ivy
Quartz | Level 8

Hello,

I have 6000 patients with 10 treatment choice.  I would like to see which factors are accociated with the doctor's decision about the treatment.  There are 25 factors total.

I am wondering how this should be modeld , what analysis result should be used.

Thank you very much,

Ivy

5 REPLIES 5
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

It sounds like the response variable is a categorical variable with 10 levels. You can analyze data like that by using a generalized logistic model.  In SAS you can use PROC LOGISTIC for the analysis.  There is an example of a generlized logit model in the documentation for PROC LOGISTIC, along with an explanation of the output, so copy that example. A main-effects model will look something like

MODEL treatment = x1 x2 x3 ... x25 / link=glogit;

where x1-x25 are the 25 factors.

Reeza
Super User

You could also consider a discriminant analysis, if you consider each treatment option a group.

You need to factor in the doctor though, there tends to be a bias by provider, not sure how that would be handled. Maybe just as a categorical variable? I would suggest anonymizing the docs names from yourself and until you finalize your results to prevent personal bias.  

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

You could investigate decision tree procedures. The easiest is the partition platform in JMP. In SAS/STAT, you should try proc HPSPLIT. The skeleton code would look like

proc hpsplit data=myData;
target treatment / level=nom;
input fact1 fact2 fact3 / level=int; /* List of continuous factors */
input fact4 - fact25 / level=nom; /* List of categorical factors */
output nodestats=myNodes importance=myVars;
run;s 

PG
Ivy
Quartz | Level 8 Ivy
Quartz | Level 8
Thank you all very much !

I will take a look of these procedures.

Have a nice day !
ballardw
Super User

You might also have to consider the patient's health insurance as some insurance sources may not pay, or only partially pay, for certain procedures and that can influence a provider's choice.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 5 in conversation