BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
It has been awhile since I had to run a time test for trend and I find myself hitting a wall on where to start.
In my datasets, I have those that have taken a drug of interest and those who have not. We measure bone density at one site on each individual (control) and on other site (case) so each person is their own case and control. We have age, sex, race. Measurements were taken of bone density at baseline, 3 months and 6 months.
The main question of interest is, for those who take drug of interest versus those that do not, is there a significant change over time in bone density at the site of case/control. I am really drawing a blank and appreciate any help or guidance. Thank you.
3 REPLIES 3
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
I can think of two general ways to attack this.

1) if you have no missing data (or apply PROC MI), you can use a multivariate GLM with 6 dependent variables. Then you can apply contrasts in the dependent variable space to address the differential trends.

2) you could treat this as a repeated measures analysis and apply PROC MIXED.
deleted_user
Not applicable
With proc GLM, how do I apply the contrasts to the dependent variables? I am more familiar with GLM than PROC MIXED and will try to use this program. Thank you for your help.
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
The specifics of the CONTRAST statement syntax are in the reference manual. You can also do repeated measures analysis in GLM rather than MIXED.

In both the multivariate approach and the repeated measures approach, you can do tests for trends with orthogonal polynomials (though with just 3 time points, it's hard to do more than a linear trend test).

Littell, Stroup, and Freund's book "SAS for linear models" has a couple of good chapters on this.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation