BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi,

This question pertains perhaps more to panel regression in general than to the SAS software in particular. Anyway, I thought the question might be relevant also to other SAS users (than just me).

I'm doing exploratory analyses with a panel data set. I'm testing the ability of a large number of constructs to explain an outcome. My question is: if an independent variable is deemed insignificant without controls, will it be insignificant with controls.

In other words: Does statistical significance decrease monotonically with increasing number of control variables?

I would like to use the following procedure:
1. test a large number of interesting constructs: are they able to explain the outcome
2. if so, include control variables to rule out alternative explanations

Is it possible that I will drop constructs at phase 1 that would turn out significant at phase 2?

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
In short, no.

In general, with linear models, that monotonic characteristic is displayed when the independent variables are all independent of one another. Nice in theory, but doesn't always happen in practice.

That behavior is part of the reason that there are so many approaches to model building.

So, it is possible that your phase II will miss some interesting variables. It is a variation on the Type II error in sample size computation.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thank you very much for your reply! This pretty much answers my question.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation