BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
julicny
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello all.

What are the most commonly used statistical tests for comparing the average length of a hospital stay?  Should I be thinking in terms of comparing the medians instead of the averages?  The data I have come from two separate groups of patients undergoing the same procedure.  Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Look at NPAR1WAY example :

SAS/STAT(R) 9.3 User's Guide

If you can show a significant location difference with the Wilcoxon test then you needn't look any further.

PG

PG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
MohammadFayaz
Calcite | Level 5

Truncated means and trimmed means are another approach for testing your problem.

Reeza
Super User

Check the distribution of the data. If normally distributed then use averages, times are rarely normally distributed though, so median tends to be used instead.

Another option is to use log(time) instead, but again you'll need to verify the distribution of the data.

MohammadFayaz
Calcite | Level 5

You can compare it with logistic regression ( for example if a patient stay more than 7 days  1 else 0) for each hospital.

(check proc logistic and proc genmod in SAS)

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Look at NPAR1WAY example :

SAS/STAT(R) 9.3 User's Guide

If you can show a significant location difference with the Wilcoxon test then you needn't look any further.

PG

PG
1zmm
Quartz | Level 8

You might also look at the differences in the distributions of the length of stay for the two groups of patients using PROC LIFEREG (multiple parametric distributions) or PROC LIFETEST (nonparametric distributions).

julicny
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for all the suggestions.   I did the analysis using NPAR1WAY and did find significance with the Wilcoxon test.  The LIFETEST and LOGISTIC approaches seem interesting as well, but I am not sure I will have the time to pursue this analysis further. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 5 in conversation