BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
_maldini_
Barite | Level 11

I want to test the equality of 2 proportions, but I want to do it for each level of a nominal, polychotomous variable. For example, gender (dichotomous) and race (polychotomous). I want to compare the proportion of males that are caucasian, for example, to the proportion of females that are caucasian, and so on. I want the same comparison for each level of the polychotomous variable race. If there are 5 levels of race, I want 5 comparisons w/ p-values, difference in proportion and CI of the difference.

I understand that if the 2 variables are dichotomous I can use PROC FREQ w/ the CHISQ and RISKDIFF options for the statistical significance, the difference between proportions and the CI for that difference, but is there a way to perform this analysis without having to dichotomize a polychotomous variable?

Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

Your BY variables shouldn't be in the TABLES statement 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

Include the polychotomous variable as a BY variable. 

_maldini_
Barite | Level 11

@Reeza

When I do that I get the following NOTES in the log: 

NOTE: No statistics are computed for race_ethn * gender because all data are missing.
NOTE: The above message was for the following BY group:
race_ethn=.
NOTE: No statistics are computed for race_ethn * gender because race_ethn has less than 2 nonmissing levels.
race_ethn=Caucasian
NOTE: No statistics are computed for race_ethn * gender because race_ethn has less than 2 nonmissing levels.
race_ethn=Black/African American/Hispanic
race_ethn=Native American/Asian/Pacific Islander
race_ethn=Other
NOTE: There were 2774 observations read from the data set SURVEY.CSCSP_2016_POST_SORT.

Reeza
Super User

Your BY variables shouldn't be in the TABLES statement 

Ksharp
Super User
Possion regression might do this.
proc genmod + offset= option

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation