BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Melk
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I am using a mixed model and restricting the analysis to a single group of interest using a where statement in my model. There are 3 visits. I would like to know if there is a significant change in my outcome variable over time. If I treat my visits as continuous, will the fixed effect p-value for visit tell me if my outcome significantly changed over time? Not sure how to treat visit here.

1 REPLY 1
sld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 sld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I would benefit from more detail (like code and example data). I'm not sure how the "where" restriction fits in. If it's a mixed model, then you might want to consider random coefficients. Until more detail is available...

If you incorporate visits as continuous then (by default and depending on details), you are fitting a linear regression of the outcome on visit. This would be a somewhat crude assessment of trend that assumes linearity. Of course, with only 3 visits, it could be hard to assess the validity of the linearity assumption, and a "crude" assessment might just fine. I've taken this approach before and been comfortable with it.

You might find the SAS Statistical Procedures to be a better forum for this question. I have the (recently acquired) power to move your post, but I've never done that before. Let me know if you'd like me to (try to) move it 🙂

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation