Programming the statistical procedures from SAS

Testing Slope=ONE

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Testing Slope=ONE

In an ANCOVA-like model (using GLM or MIXED or whatever) how do I test whether a Slope=ONE.

(not zero, 1)  ... testing whether the estimated slope = 1.

Proc GLM;

Class Group;

Model Y= Group X;

... something like: TEST X=1;

=== I know I could look at the CI for the parameter estimates and see if it contains 1; I want a p-value.

???

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎01-13-2017 08:35 AM
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Testing Slope=ONE

True, the TESTVALUE option is not available for the ESTIMATE statement in many SAS procedures (including GLM and MIXED, as well as GLIMMIX), which I noted in my response. (For testing a specific slope value, you would use ESTIMATE rather than LSMESTIMATE.)

But, as I also noted, you can use the STORE statement in GLM (or MIXED or GLIMMIX), and then the PLM procedure with the ESTIMATE statement and the TESTVALUE option. See

https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings10/258-2010.pdf

for more information about the PLM procedure; SAS documentation provides even more details. A chance to learn even more Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

All Replies
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The TESTVALUE= option on the ESTIMATE or LSMESTIMATE statement will do that. See

https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings11/351-2011.pdf

for an example. The TESTVALUE= option is not available for all procedures--for example, it is not available for GLIMMIX--but in those cases you can use the STORE statement and then use the PLM procedure to obtain the ESTIMATE or LSMESTIMATE statement with TESTVALUE option.

Occasional Contributor

Sorry, but the TESTVALUE= option is not available in GLM. In MIXED, the option is available in the LSMEstimate statement, but it only allows CLASS values as an effect.  I need to test whether the slope of a continuous covariate is 1.

But, I appreciate the thought. I learned something.

Solution
‎01-13-2017 08:35 AM
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

True, the TESTVALUE option is not available for the ESTIMATE statement in many SAS procedures (including GLM and MIXED, as well as GLIMMIX), which I noted in my response. (For testing a specific slope value, you would use ESTIMATE rather than LSMESTIMATE.)

But, as I also noted, you can use the STORE statement in GLM (or MIXED or GLIMMIX), and then the PLM procedure with the ESTIMATE statement and the TESTVALUE option. See

https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings10/258-2010.pdf

for more information about the PLM procedure; SAS documentation provides even more details. A chance to learn even more Smiley Happy

Occasional Contributor

Ah. I spoke too soon.

Outputing a STORE in MIXED and then using the ESTIMATE statement in PLM works!

cool

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

It is cool! I'm glad it worked for you.

Grand Advisor

[ Edited ]

@AlBest Please mark answer as correct

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation