BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Nebulus
Calcite | Level 5

I have a quick question about testing the assumption for paired t-tests that " The distribution of the differences in the dependent variable between the two related groups should be approximately normally distributed".

Say I have two groups one and two. The way I am supposed to do this is to create a new variable "diff=one-two"

then do..

Proc Univariate data=x normal;

qqplot  / Normal (mu=est sigma=est);

var diff;

run;

Is this correct?

Or do i use this instead to test normality?

var one two;

I interpreted it as I am supposed to test the normality of the differences between groups not each group.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

Actually I'd probably use Proc Ttest. With ODS Graphics on the defaults will create some plots related to the distributions of differences. If I didn't see any problems then we're done.

Use the VAR Diff version. If you use two variables you will get separate results for each variable in Univariate.

Ksharp
Super User
I think both are equality. If both one and two are normal distribution, then dif=one-two  must be normal distribution. 
because dif is linear combination of normal distribution.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation