BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
matt_dubins
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

This pertains to the output data from PROC FASTCLUS. This may sound very ignorant, but I'm wondering if you get a measure of separation between clusters (a kind of "Between STD") when you subtract Within STD from Total STD?  I would then be interested in the ratio between this "Between STD" vs Within STD.  If not, should R^2 ratio be preferred as a measure of separation of clusters vs within cluster variation?

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The VariableStat table contains a column labeled RSQ/(1 - RSQ). The documentation says that that ratio is "the ratio of between-cluster variance to within-cluster variance." Is that what you are looking for?

I don't think what you suggest would be true (but I don't fully understand what you are proposing). In my experience, it is usually the VARIANCE (not the STD) that you try to decompose into interpretable independent components.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation