BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sassygrl
Calcite | Level 5
Using Proc Reg and Proc GLMselect, I am encountering an issue where the variables that were selected are no longer significant when I re-run the model using only those variables. Example code would be as follows:

proc glmselect data=indata;
model y = / selection=stepwise choose=validate;
run; quit;

proc glm data=indata;
model y = ;
run; quit;

I have tried varying the "selection" (stepwise, lasso, etc. ) and "choose" options, listing the variables in the order in which they were selected, ss1, ss3, all to no avail. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
1 REPLY 1
lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Stepwise selection procedures do not necessarily select just "significant" terms in a classical sense. In fact, tests of significance within the stepwise procedures are quite controversial, and p values may not have simple meanings (the extreme multiple testing causes all kinds of problems). Many stepwise selection methods are liberal, so that possible models are not discarded too readily. Thus, all the terms selected may not be significant when using them in a single model (separate procedure) (as if there was no stepwise selection). You can change the selection criteria in various procedures to make it more difficult to include terms.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation