BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
kirchi
Calcite | Level 5

An ambulance agency claims that the standard deviation of the length of service times is 5
minutes. Investigator suspects that this claim is wrong. She takes a random sample of 20
services and finds the standard deviation as 6 minutes. Assume that the service time of the
ambulance follows normal distribution.
i) What is the probability that the standard deviation of the length of service times is more
than and equal to 5 minutes.
ii) Find the 95% confidence interval for the standard deviation of the length of service times.
iii) Test, at  = 0.01, is there enough evidence to reject the agency’s claim?

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User

@kirchi wrote:

An ambulance agency claims that the standard deviation of the length of service times is 5
minutes. Investigator suspects that this claim is wrong. She takes a random sample of 20
services and finds the standard deviation as 6 minutes. Assume that the service time of the
ambulance follows normal distribution.
i) What is the probability that the standard deviation of the length of service times is more
than and equal to 5 minutes.
ii) Find the 95% confidence interval for the standard deviation of the length of service times.
iii) Test, at  = 0.01, is there enough evidence to reject the agency’s claim?

PROC TTEST. 

kirchi
Calcite | Level 5

Please! Can you help me more?

I have sample standard deviation or standard error, population standard deviation and sample size. i don't know, how to use t-test?

Reeza
Super User

See the videos here and check the documentation for proc TTEST under examples. 

http://support.sas.com/training/tutorial/

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation