BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
KAZ
Obsidian | Level 7 KAZ
Obsidian | Level 7
I have a dataset based upon observation from related individuals. I have a kinship matrix that estimates the pairwise relationship between every two individuals in the sample. My question is, how do I specify that matrix in a variance component model?

My best guess is PROC GLIMMIX. I understand how to specify the STRUCTURE of a covariance matrix, but that's not what I want to do. I already have the covariance matrix calculated, now I need to use it in a model.

Thanks for any help.
2 REPLIES 2
Dale
Pyrite | Level 9
KAZ,

Try Googling "+pedigree +covariance +matrix +proc +mixed" (without the quotes). The first hit should be "Genetic analysis of complex traits using SAS - Google Books Result". If you click on that, you can see a couple of pages of text in which the INBREED procedure is used to construct a kinship matrix. The kinship matrix is then passed to the MIXED procedure.

I would suggest that you purchase the book so that you can get the most from it. It looks like it could be quite useful

Dale
KAZ
Obsidian | Level 7 KAZ
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks Dale, that is very helpful. I have another related question:

I used PROC INBREED to construct the kinship matrix. Unfortunately I have a very large pedigree, which makes the matrix unwieldy. In reality I only need the kinship coefficient estimated for a small sample of pairwise relationships in the pedigree.

For example, I have observations on N individuals, who are connected via a single pedigree which contains Y individuals. Y >> N.

Can I tell PROC INBREED to use all Y individuals to estimate the kinship coefficients between only the N observed individuals?

Thanks.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation