BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Wolfram
Calcite | Level 5

In excel, I have used a second-order polynomial forecast which is fit to intercept the Y axis at 10,000. Excel reports an R^2 of 0.25 for this relationship.

I'm trying to replicate this in SAS in order to observe significance levels/standard errors with the following model:

proc reg data=data2;

model revenue=xr xr2 /white spec;

restrict intercept=10000;

run;

This model outputs parameter intercepts identical to Excel's. Unfortunately, the R^2 is insane at 0.9963.

SAS results report: "Restrictions on intercept. R-Square is redefined". How should I be interpreting the R^2 then? Also, is there any way to output a graphical output which exhibits the confidence bands off the base of the data?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
chrej5am
Quartz | Level 8

Hello,

I would like to hear what is the mean of revenue. My thoughts are that if it is far from 10000 than it can make sense.

Basically the R^2 is a measure which tells you how much more of variance of your variable REVENUE can be explained by your model compared to the model with intercept only.

I would say the R^2 in excel will be estimated using the model revenue=intercept + resid for comparison (which is estimated by average of revenue),

on the other hand the SAS will use model revenue=10000+resid for comparison and since this one could be pretty weak than the valu 99% additional fit can make sense.

Jakub

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

If it were me, I would subtract 10,000 from my Y variable and use the NOINT option on the model statement to consider lines that pass through the origin. (But then I'd ask myself, "why am I considering only no-intercept models.)

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation