BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
bb2
Fluorite | Level 6 bb2
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all,

I am working on a similar kind of project as this 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4313376/

For table 2, what are the appropriate statistical tests to use? (we have only the count of cataract surgeries by age group, gender and race)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4313376/table/T2/

Please help!!

Thanks in advance,

BB

8 REPLIES 8
paulkaefer
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

The note on that table reads, "Significance level from Student's t-test (gender comparison) or Analysis of Variance (age and race comparisons)." So if you are trying to replicate their results or compare results from your experiments to theirs, that would be a good start.

I recommend the book Statistics in Plain English, or whatever intro statistics textbook you may have used in your stats class, for revisiting the logic behind these tests, and where they should be used. It's far better to understand the basic stats behind the tests than to simply select one and throw data at it.

bb2
Fluorite | Level 6 bb2
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for your reply.

But since we are using the counts, i thought Chi-suare would be appropriate. Not sure how we can use Student's t-test (gender comparison) or Analysis of Variance (age and race comparisons) for counts!

paulkaefer
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I see what you mean. Yes, since the Chi-square test is often used to test proportions, that could make sense.

thomp7050
Pyrite | Level 9

You would use chi-square to compare two categorical variables.  However, I would recommend logistic regression as you could get the p-values and confidence limits for each effect.

bb2
Fluorite | Level 6 bb2
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for your reply!

I do not have the dataset, I have just the counts.

Reeza
Super User

What are you trying to do, replicate this elsewhere? Verify results from paper? 

bb2
Fluorite | Level 6 bb2
Fluorite | Level 6

I am actually working on a similar study. I thought of using Chi-square for p values. I did some research on similar kind of studies and found this, however, did not understand how to use Student's t-test (gender comparison) or Analysis of Variance (age and race comparisons).

I was wondering if chi-square is appropriate or not?

Reeza
Super User

My guess is if they did t-tests or ANOVA it was on the rates, not counts. Validity of that is debatable but the numbers are large enough to not cause too much concern on my part. 

One thing, NEVER assume that the analysis used is appropriate and what you should be doing, make the decision based on your data and statistical knowledge, you have to be able to defend it and there's too many studies that demonstrate statistical issues these days. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation