BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
variety
Obsidian | Level 7

I am using sas 9.3 version. In the out model data set from proc pls procedure, what does the letters 'WB', 'PQ' and 'V' mean?

8 REPLIES 8
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I'd say its impossible to answer that question unless you show us your code.

--
Paige Miller
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I think these are TYPE values indicating various coefficients, which you can then use for post processing.  You might glean more from this paper about using PROC PLS.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
variety
Obsidian | Level 7

I read that paper before posting the question. I still couldn't understand the full form of WB, PQ and V. The best I can find is:

"standard PLS model parameters, WB contains W and B,

PQ contains P and Q, and V contains the proportion of variability explained."

Thanks.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

For the 2nd time, I request that you please show us your code.

Also, you state

"standard PLS model parameters, WB contains W and B, PQ contains P and Q, and V contains the proportion of variability explained."

Where do you see this? It is not in the linked article about PLS

--
Paige Miller
variety
Obsidian | Level 7

SAS Code:

proc pls data=problem cv=one details censcale plots=all outmodel=est1;
model Y=X1-X16/solution;

run;

proc print data=est1;

run;

In the est1 ouput I get Obs, _LV_, TYPE

In the TYPE, I get WB, PQ, V, V.

I know W means Weights and B means beta coefficients. I am just trying to double check.

the answer I posted is not from the article. It is from a quick google search.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

The SAS documentation that I have does not show any such option named OUTMODEL in the PROC PLS statement.

http://documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=statcdc&cdcVersion=14.2&docsetId=statug&docsetTarget=statug_pls_...

the answer I posted is not from the article. It is from a quick google search.

Please give us the link so we can all see what you are seeing

--
Paige Miller
variety
Obsidian | Level 7

I don't know why your documentation doesn't contain OUTMODEL statement. There is an entire section dedicated in SAS 9.3 user guide to describe the OUTMODEL function. You can check it on page 1180 on SAS 9.3 user guide here. https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/63962/PDF/default/statug.pdf

The link I was telling you about is here: http://comp.soft-sys.sas.narkive.com/2LXXqkjw/pls-procedure-outmodel

Proc PLS procedure contains OUTMODEL function. OUTMODEL creates an output data set that contains the model information for the analysis, the parameter estimates, and their standard errors.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Your link to documentation showing OUTMODEL on page 1180 refers to PROC CALIS and not PROC PLS. So I don't see how it is relevant at all.

Your other link to the comp.soft-sys.sas archive seems to be referring to version SAS 6.11 which did have an outmodel option, again not relevant here, although it's good to see I was replying to this question back in 2006, and giving the same answer.

But all of this won't get us anywhere. The PROC PLS OUTMODEL option, if it exists, is currently undocumented, and so only people at SAS can tell you what it does and what it means, outsiders like me cannot possibly know what it does.

You don't need this mysterious OUTMODEL option anyway. If you want to save the results of your PLS model fit into SAS data sets, it can all be saved using ODS OUTPUT, which is what I do. All of the options available to save the results of PROC PLS via ODS OUTPUT are given here: http://documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=statcdc&cdcVersion=14.2&docsetId=statug&docsetTarget=statug_pls_...

And here's the main benefit: if you use ODS OUTPUT, then everything is documented and explainable.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation