BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
statsgirl
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I have a data set of 3784 participants (no missing data) who answered 16 General Human papillomavirus (a disease) knowledge items.  As an example (HPV is rare) These items were asked as true, false and I don't know. I want to examine how many factors should be retained. I conducted an exploratory factor analysis (see below).

My results indicate 1 factor (by looking at eigenvalues >1, and the scree plot). This is great, as we were hoping for unidemniolnality of this scale

I am wondering if I should try a rotation ? I believe a rotation is not appropriate since I have 1 factor

Thanks,

Samara

proc

factor data=WORK.A method=principal nfactor=16 heywood scree;

var Q28A Q28B Q28C Q28D Q28E Q28F Q28G Q28H Q28I Q28J Q28K Q28L Q28M Q28N Q28O Q28P;

run

5 REPLIES 5
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I am wondering if I should try a rotation ?

What benefits do you think you will obtain from a rotation?

Normally, rotation of factors is performed to improve the interpretability of the factors. Is that a problem here? if not, then I would say don't bother to perform any rotation.

--
Paige Miller
Tommy1201
Calcite | Level 5

I am not a statistician, but according to the literature, I think the best way to determine the number of factors or principal components for analysis is to conduct the parallel analysis..

Tommy1201
Calcite | Level 5

Use google to find paper "Determining the Number of Factors to Retain in EFA: an easy-to-use computer program for carrying out Parallel Analysis"

And, from this web-site you can download SAS macro for parallel analysis....Programs for Number of Components

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

... except the question was not about how to find the proper number of components ...

--
Paige Miller
Tommy1201
Calcite | Level 5

There is something strange to me in this....It seems that she wants to examine (at first) how many FA or PC to retain in model...then, suddenly she said that model with one extracted PC is acceptable..??

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation