BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Ben_E
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I tried to perform a simple ridge regression in SAS, but I am a bit confused by the results, since they do not correspond with the results in R or even with the results in proc IML, if I do the estimation by hand. The formula I used is beta =  inv(T(X) * X + delta) * (T(X) * Y) , where delta is the penalty matrix with the ridge parameters on the diagonal.

I have used the following code:

/*Ridge regression*/

proc reg data=ridgedat outvif outest=ridge1_est ridge=0.4;

ods select collindiag;

ods output collindiag=ridge1_eigenvalues;

ridge1: model y = x1 x2 x3 x4 x5 x6 ;

proc print data=ridge1_est noobs;

var _type_ intercept x1 x2 x3 x4 x5 x6;

run;

/*Ridge regression by hand*/

proc iml;

USE work.ridgedat;            /* Open data set for reading */

READ ALL var {x1 x2 x3 x4 x5 x6} INTO X;    /* Place independent variables into X */

READ ALL var {y} INTO y;        /* Place dependent variable into Y */                       

CLOSE work.ridgedat;            /* Close data set */

X = J(nrow(X),1,1) || X;        /* Add col with 1s for estimating the intercept to the X matrix */

/*Create diagonal matrix for the ridge parameter*/

ridge = J(1,ncol(X),0.4);   

delta = diag(ridge);

/*Calculate paramter*/

b =  inv(T(X) * X + delta) * (T(X) * y) ;

PRINT b;

run;

The results:

As it can be seen, the values differ significantly.

What happens? What is doing the ridge regression in proc reg? Sadly it is a black box, but maybe somone can enlighten me. Smiley Happy

The data are attached, the x variables are standardized with mean 0 and sd 1.

Cheers,

Ben

3 REPLIES 3
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

You are using the wrong formula. The PROC REG method is documented in the section "Computations for Ridge Regression and IPC Analysis."

Ben_E
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you very much, for your quick replay.

Cheers,

Ben

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

For a more complete write-up and a description of how to use SAS/IML to implement the formula, see Got Matrix? Reach for the SAS/IML language - The DO Loop

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation