BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
RickM
Fluorite | Level 6
Hi,

I am trying to reproduce lsmeans from proc GLM in R and with the help of the online docs and through matrix algebra I can recreate everything but the standard error of the difference of lsmeans.

From the SAS doc:
for LS-means defined by the linear combinations li'b and lj'b of the parameter estimates, Sij^2=MSE*li'*inv(X'X)*lj

This is giving me a negative number.

For balanced data I could get the standard error by taking the square root of the sum of the variances (or sqrt(2)*se of the individual lsmean) but most of the time my data will be unbalanced so this does not hold.

Is there a nice closed form of the relationship between the se for individual lsmeans and their contrasts?

Thanks for your help,
Rick Message was edited by: RickM
2 REPLIES 2
RickM
Fluorite | Level 6
Ok I figured out how to get it. Really simple too. Instead of li and lj I needed L=li-lj and then do Sij^2=MSE*L'*inv(X'X)*L

Have a nice weekend.
Dale
Pyrite | Level 9
Yes, because using the vector li on the left and lj on the right of inv(X'X) just returns the covariance of the two lsmeans that are obtained from li*beta and lj*beta. But the standard error of the difference is the sum of the variances of the lsmeans minus 2 times the covariance of the lsmeans. By using the matrix L, you get all the necessary terms for computing the variance of the difference.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation