BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
quebecsalmon
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am a SAS toddler and running a regression model using dummy variable for an event study. My model is

Realized Return = Expected Return + Dummy for event day (Day -10 to Day +10)

proc reg data=work.germanyindex;
model RR = ER DB10 DB09 DB08 DB07 DB06 DB05 DB04 DB03 DB02 DB01 DDAY DA01 DA02 DA03 DA04 DA05 DA06 DA07 DA08 DA09 DA10;
run;

In the model, RR means realized return, and ER is expected return, and DB10 to DA10 is date dummy consist of 0 or 1. I have around 270 observations in my dataset.

However, if I run this regression, SAS says:

Note:Model is not full rank. Least-squares solutions for the parameters are not unique. Some statistics will be misleading. A reported DF of 0 or B means that the estimate is biased.

Note:The following parameters have been set to 0, since the variables are a linear combination of other variables as shown.

and I cannot get coefficient of ER variable nor std. error, t-stats, and prob. 

I do not know what can I do for this. Is it a data problem? or coding? I attached my dataset just in case. 

I will appreciate your help.

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User

Remember when coding dummy variables you include N-1 variables for N levels. 

This is because if you have 3 levels you only need two variables to uniquely identify all 3 scenarios.

quebecsalmon
Calcite | Level 5

You mean number of dummy variables by levels? I have dummy variables for each 21 days, so I need to remove one of dummy variable?

Or, values of variable? DB10 - DA10 is consist of 1 and 0, but do I need to make blank for 0s?

Sorry for asking you additional question.

I am real beginner of SAS, so these question could be stupid. please understand.

Reeza
Super User

This isn't a SAS question, it's a statistics question. SAS is simply a program for applying statistical knowledge, you still need to understand the statistical methodology.

If you have a variable that can be expressed as a linear combination of other variables, it is not independent. So if you have 0/1 for every day, then you have overspecified the model and need to remove one of the day variables. 

A more detailed write up:

http://stats.idre.ucla.edu/other/mult-pkg/faq/general/faqwhat-is-dummy-coding/

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation