BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
trawl13
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I need help finding the the most significant, non-correlated, variables in SAS.

The Current Approach:

In the "Analysis" section, I am currently going line by line to find which variables are correlated. I have 187 variables, so that is 2^187 (=1.961e56) combinations I have to go through. I am using the Pearson Correlation Coefficient to find multicolinearity b/t variables. I am eliminating ones that are >.80

I know that SAS can hadle the best subsets, but I would like the best subsets for 187 variables taking into accounf multicolinearity

Ideally I would like to:

1.) Eliminate all of the correlation b/t the 187 variables

2.) With the non correlated variables, I would like to find the most significant, best subset of variables to run in a regression

This is taking too long, and I know there is a more mathematical approach to solve this. That is why I am reaching out to people much smarter than myself Smiley Happy

Thanks for any help!

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

Have you looked into Principal Compenents Analysis (PCA)?

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

This is a vast subject, full of traps. Here is one approach. You should try doing a PCA (proc princomp) to determine roughly how many true independent factors are among your variables. Then you should look for best subsets of that size using best subset regression. Last, you should check, starting with the bestest subset, that the chosen variables are indeed uncorrelated (it is unlikely that correlated variables will turn out in the same subset). After all that, make sure the model makes sense, that it is meaningful!

My two cents.

PG

PG

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation