BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
KafeelBasha
Quartz | Level 8

Hello

In logistic regression as we split data into Training and Validation Samples.

Can we do the same in Linear regression?. If not please let me know why?.

Kafeel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ksharp
Super User

Yes. You could. But I would not recommend .

PROC REG is for predicted model ( interpolated data) , not for forecasted model (Extrapolated data) -- which is well-knowed  as Time Series Analysis .

If you use PROC REG for Extrapolated data, the model error would be very large, and model would not be trusted .

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

Yes, you can and should split your data for linear regression. 

This methodology is consistent across various statistical procedures not just

logistic regression. 

I'm not aware of an automatic method to factor in the diff datasets but I'd review the documentation. 

Ksharp
Super User

Yes. You could. But I would not recommend .

PROC REG is for predicted model ( interpolated data) , not for forecasted model (Extrapolated data) -- which is well-knowed  as Time Series Analysis .

If you use PROC REG for Extrapolated data, the model error would be very large, and model would not be trusted .

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation