BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
KafeelBasha
Quartz | Level 8

Hello

1) In Multiple Linear Regression what is the relation between beta coefficients and errors. Can we say if errors are normal distributed then beta coeffients are also normally distributed?.

2) Why do we need to look for convergence of logistic regression model, when can we say the model doesn't converge. Please refers me a book or simple example.

3) Request you to suggest me books on Dimension Reduction Techniques which includes topics like Factor Analysis, Principal Component analysis and Descriminent analysis.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ksharp
Super User

1) In Multiple Linear Regression what is the relation between beta coefficients and errors. Can we say if errors are normal distributed then beta coeffients are also normally distributed?.

beta coefficients and errors should not be correlation.
I don't think so.

2) Why do we need to look for convergence of logistic regression model, when can we say the model doesn't converge. Please refers me a book or simple example.

If it was convergence ,then the parameter estimator could be trusted , vice verse.
If there are many missing obs in data, or you have a level which occurred only once or few times.
E.X.
sex
F
F
F
M
M
M
X   <--- only have one obs .

3) Request you to suggest me books on Dimension Reduction Techniques which includes topics like Factor Analysis, Principal Component analysis and Descriminent analysis.
Check the documentation of PROC VARCLUS , PROC PRINCOMP ... at the end of them , you will see lots of reference books.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Ksharp
Super User

beta coefficients and errors should not be correlation.
I don't think so.

If it was convergence ,then the parameter estimator could be trusted , vice verse.
If there are many missing obs in data, or you have a level which occurred only once or few times.
E.X.
sex
F
F
F
M
M
M
X   <--- only have one obs .

Check the documentation of PROC VARCLUS , PROC PRINCOMP ... at the end of them , you will see lots of reference books.

mkeintz
PROC Star

This is from way back in the reptialian part of my memory, but ...

First, Beta is the underlying coefficient.  It's not distributed.  But BetaHat (estimation of Beta) is distributed.

Now If

1. Y = Beta'X + e, and
  2. error term e is normally distributed
  3. BetaHat estimation is  BetaHat = Inverse(X'X) (X'Y)     [=Inverse(X'X)*Beta'X + Inverse(X'X)e]

then under closure of normal distributions under linear transformation, BetaHat must be normally distributed.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation