BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
AnalytX
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi everybody,

I would like to perform a linear regression with repeated measurements: 20 patients with 4 measurements for each.

Do you have an idea how to take into account the correlated data?

I thought to random coefficient/intercept models using PROC MIXED. What do you think about this approach?

Thanking you in advance for your answer.

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
1zmm
Quartz | Level 8

Plots of results comparing two methods are good.  Whether the R-square statistic is good is another story because, with only two variables, the R-squared statistic is only the square of the Pearson's correlation coefficient between the two variables.  Sometimes, the value of the Pearson's correlation coefficient (and its partner, the R-squared statistic) can be misleading when comparing two methods because the values from the two methods can be strongly correlated but the values from each of the methods can differ quite markedly.

The simple Bland-Altman scatter plot of differences between paired measurements (on the Y-axis) vs. the mean of the paired measurements (on the X-axis) is one way to depict the relationship between the two methods to detect possible biases and outlying measurements (although it does not account for repeated within-individual paired measurements).

Various statistical methods and measures have been suggested to compare two methods--intraclass correlations, Deming regression (both methods are subject to measurement error so that neither method is a "gold standard"), structural equation modelling (for measurement error models), etc.  Even though you should produce the graphs that your colleagues want, it would be worthwhile for you in the future to read up more on the statistical methods relating to method comparisons.  Besides books and Google Scholar, you might also look at Lex Jansen's Internet site about SAS articles from conference proceedings that discuss methods comparisons to see how you might use SAS to implement these models.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

PROC GLIMMIX or PROC GLM is definitely the way to go.

--
Paige Miller
AnalytX
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks a lot for your answer.

AnalytX
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I would need to estimate the R-square and the p-value for the slope for this model. As I have to quantitative data, linear regression using PROC GLM is quite simple omitting CLASS statement.

Example:

proc glm data=RAW;

model VALUE_A = VALUE_B;

run;

Now, I have some difficulties to add the REPEATED statement to specify that measures is repeated on patients (replicates).

Do you have any idea?

Thanks in advance

1zmm
Quartz | Level 8

Go to the SAS Internet site, http://support.sas.com/documentation/, to read the PROC MIXED example on repeated measures.  Aligning your study with this example should allow you to analyze your data appropriately.

Generally, with mixed models and repeated measures, the R-squared measure is less useful than with ordinary least-squares regression because the interest is in modelling correctly the variance-covariance matrix among the repeated measures and in estimating the direction and the size of the model independent variable parameters rather than in estimating the proportion of the variance of the dependent variable "explained" by the independent variables.

AnalytX
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks a lot 1zmm.

I completely agree with your advices. I used to use PROC mixed for similar problematics. In this particular case (method comparison using X subjects with Y replicates for each), my colleagues want to provide a plot with the results of the linear regression (method A vs method B and corresponding fit) and indicate the R-square.

I do not know if it is feasible/relevant.

Thanks

1zmm
Quartz | Level 8

Plots of results comparing two methods are good.  Whether the R-square statistic is good is another story because, with only two variables, the R-squared statistic is only the square of the Pearson's correlation coefficient between the two variables.  Sometimes, the value of the Pearson's correlation coefficient (and its partner, the R-squared statistic) can be misleading when comparing two methods because the values from the two methods can be strongly correlated but the values from each of the methods can differ quite markedly.

The simple Bland-Altman scatter plot of differences between paired measurements (on the Y-axis) vs. the mean of the paired measurements (on the X-axis) is one way to depict the relationship between the two methods to detect possible biases and outlying measurements (although it does not account for repeated within-individual paired measurements).

Various statistical methods and measures have been suggested to compare two methods--intraclass correlations, Deming regression (both methods are subject to measurement error so that neither method is a "gold standard"), structural equation modelling (for measurement error models), etc.  Even though you should produce the graphs that your colleagues want, it would be worthwhile for you in the future to read up more on the statistical methods relating to method comparisons.  Besides books and Google Scholar, you might also look at Lex Jansen's Internet site about SAS articles from conference proceedings that discuss methods comparisons to see how you might use SAS to implement these models.

AnalytX
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks one more time 1zmm for all your detailed advices.

Best,

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation