BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
hhager
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I am working with some proportion data (response/trials) using Proc GLIMMIX and binomial distribution (I've tried both logit and compl log-log links).  These data are highly overdispersed because of a large number of zeros, and many of the proportions are fairly small.  I want to use Proc FMM to account for these zeros, but I also have hierarchical experimental designs with random variables.  For example, I have a block effect, sometimes a nested effect, and sometimes a repeated measure (which I'm analysing as a split-plot effect).  However, I don't see how to account for random effects in Proc FMM.  I haven't found it in any of the documentation I've read, and am wondering if I can use the same syntax as in GLIMMIX?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Sorry. FMM is only for fixed effects. One can use NLMIXED, but one must write the code (not trivial). And you won't be able to have as many random effects terms. Here is a good place to get started:

http://statistics.ats.ucla.edu/stat/sas/faq/zip_nlmixed.htm

The textbook by Walter Stroup on GLMMs is also excellent for this.

hhager
Calcite | Level 5

Yes, I have been using the Stroup text extensively.  Unfortunately, he only has examples for Poisson and neg binomial distribution, whereas I have response/trials data, so I need to do this using the binomial distribution.  Do you know of any example code for this?  I will check out your previous link.

Thanks!

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Not an easy fix.  A quick look at github doesn't even drag up any R packages that fit zero-inflated binomials AND hierarchical models.  One possibility might be to go "old school" on the analysis--code up an appropriate model, with random effects as fixed effects (as in GLM), and use that as an approximate design matrix in FMM.  Then to get at this in a random kind of way (and note it's only kind of random), use the BAYES statement.

And (of course) that misses out on the repeated measures part...

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation